- This event has passed.
Startup Weekend Oakland: Hacking Bias
October 7, 2016 @ 6:00 pm - October 9, 2016 @ 9:00 pm$50 – $75
Tech Solutions to Tech’s Diversity Problems!
- Anyone is welcome to pitch their startup idea and receive feedback from their peers.
- Teams form organically around the ideas and those that have the most popular votes or team members carry on past Friday night. Each team must have at least three people.
- Leading researchers will present recent findings on the leaky pipeline and unconscious bias.
- What follows is a 54 hour frenzy of business model creation, coding, designing, and market validation.
- The event culminates with presentations in front of local entrepreneurial leaders which presents another opportunity for critical feedback.
- Whether entrepreneurs found companies, find a co-founder, meet someone new, or simply learn a new skill that stretches them beyond their usual 9-to-5, everyone is guaranteed to leave the event better prepared to navigate the chaotic but fun world of startups.
About the Research: The Leaky Tech Pipeline framework illuminates how bias and barriers affect each step along the pathway to becoming a software engineer, tech employee, or tech founder. Barriers and biases affect the outcomes at each stage, and result in the cumulative disparities seen in the tech industry. The framework takes into account education, demographic, and industry data and incorporates social science research on bias, inequity, and disparities. The pipeline itself consists of multiple broad stages (e.g., K-12 education, college, career entry, career advancement) and describes disparities in tech as a complex and systemic problem.
Refund Policy: No refunds will be granted within 7 days of the event if food and drink have already been ordered. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.
Terms of Participation Agreement: It is our job to provide you with an incredible networking and learning opportunity. Our intention is that you meet some amazing people that you might actually start a company with, build relationships with coaches, and learn from your peers. The event is intended to be a collaborative forum for sharing, learning, building, and having fun. As such, by registering as a participant, you acknowledge that any ideas shared by you or anyone else over the course of the event are contributions to the overall experience and community. If you as a participant are worried about someone stealing your ideas, please reconsider your participation in the event itself or simply refrain from sharing specifics about your idea.
As a member of your startup community, you agree to to be inclusive of any and all people and their ideas. You agree to act professionally, treat everyone with respect, and treat the event facilities with proper care. You agree that you are responsible for any accidents or damages that you cause. You also agree to not hold Startup Weekend, your local volunteer team, or any of the event supporters liable for any loss, damage, injury, or any other unforeseeable incident.
By Participating at the event, you grant Startup Weekend permission to capture photo/video of the event. You can find the exact legal terms on our FAQ Page but to summarize, we want to share your success with the world.