The times are fast changing. A couple of weeks ago, my mom sent me a text message asking me, “How do u Twitter?” Aside from being side-splittingly hilarious, it was yet another loud and clear signal that the information age is in a new dimension. I know I sound really old right now, but it used to be that if you wanted to understand a topic, you could go to the library or to your personal handy stash of World Book Encyclopedias that your parents bought from a traveling salesperson to get the most comprehensive information about a topic. Then, it shifted to online versions of encyclopedias. Now, if you’re not checking out blogs or following ‘tweets’ on a regular basis, you’re just not getting the latest and greatest information on anything. So, in the spirit of making sure you have access to some of the popular blogs out there on philanthropy, here’s a list that we’ve compiled.
Note: The views represented in these blogs are not necessarily the views of the Mitchell Kapor Foundation.
(Photo from ScienceBlogs)
BLOGS ABOUT PHILANTHROPY AND NONPROFITS
- The Cohen Report: On the Intersection of Nonprofits, Politics, and Public Policy
- Future Leaders in Philanthropy (FLiP)
- Gift Hub: Blogging Philanthropy & Community at the Crossroads
- Give and Take: a roundup of blogs about the nonprofit world
- The GiveWell Blog: Exploring how to get real change for your dollar
- Government and Politics Watch: Tracking the intersection of government and charity
- Inside Philanthropy: A blog on philanthropy and nonprofit news and issues
- Ken’s Commentary: Navigating Charities with the President of Charity Navigator
- New Voices of Philanthropy: Where new and experienced leaders in the foundation world can come together to share strategies and tactics to change the world
- Nonprofit & Foundation Advocacy Blog: Hosted by Alliance for Justice to strengthen the voices of nonprofits and foundations to provide a better understanding of the laws that govern their participation in the policy process
- Nonprofit Literature Blog: Spotlights key books, pamphlets, articles, and other resources that have been acquired at Foundation Center libraries
- The Nonprofiteer: Provides strategic planning, fund-raising and board development advice to charities and philanthropies
- Paul Brest: Ponderings from the President of The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation
- Perspectives from the Pipeline: Rosetta Thurman’s blog that promotes next generation leadership for social change and to inspire young professionals and people of color
- PhilanthroMedia: Dialogue for the discerning donor
- Philanthropy 2173: The business of giving
- Philanthropy Action: Insight and analysis of current events relevant to philanthropy, economic development, emerging markets investment, foreign aid, etc.
- PhilanTopic: A blog of opinion and commentary from Philanthropy News Digest
- Social Edge: A program of the Skoll Foundation about social entrepreneurship
- Stanford Social Innovation Review Opinion Blog: Strategies, tools, and ideas for nonprofits, foundations, and socially responsible businesses
- Tactical Philanthropy: Chronicling the second wave of philanthropy
- Uncivil Society: The personal opinions and other expressions of Jeff Trexler.
- Wise Philanthropy: A conversation about current issues in the donor and funder community