Oakland is a unique space for growth as it carries a history and culture of community orientation, intersectional activism, and a grassroots approach to solving local issues. Silicon Valley boasts ideas of disruptive innovation and radical solutions; However, Oakland keeps it real as a leader with a reputation & history of disruptive social change. Oakland’s local talent and entrepreneurs could have unprecedented opportunities in our growing innovation economy if tapped in. In order to unlock equitable opportunity for our community, we all have an imperative to do tech right by acknowledging and dismantling community barriers – in order to fully thrive as one community.
ILAB OAKLAND IS FOR OAKLAND COMMITTED FOUNDERS SEEKING A SPACE & COMMUNITY TO GROW THEIR TECH INITIATIVES, WHETHER YOU ARE FOR-PROFIT OR NON-PROFIT
ILAB OAKLAND BENEFITS
Basic benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Three month rent-free space, with opportunity for renewal, nested within the Kapor Center in Uptown, Oakland
- iLab peer check-ins focused on feedback, collaboration, and accountability
- Support from City of Oakland to navigate city guidelines and to take advantage of available resources
- Access to key insights from community leaders
- Opportunity to implement a local Oakland project
- Access to a community of individuals committed to building inclusive tech solutions
- Access to relevant professional development opportunities to learn and network within the community
- Relevant programming focused on community, self care, and business development
- iLab Demo Day participation
- Alumni network and programming
- Commitment to hiring a diverse and inclusive team as you grow your organization
- Commitment to both iLab and greater East Bay community
- Full-time commitment to your organization/initiative/startup
- Six volunteer hours with the Kapor Center or nonprofit mission aligned partner organizations
- Participation in orientation day and bi-weekly check-in
Applications are due December 9, 2018 at 11:55pm PST. We are looking for underrepresented founders of a company/organization creating social impact through tech who need a place for community.
We are looking for the next cohort of community members:
- Founders committed to serving underserved communities with a tech lens
- Members with a full-time commitment to their organization
- Organizations past the idea stage in their development
- Mission alignment to the Kapor Center
- Needs for space
- Preference given to organizations committed to serving the East Bay
- Preference given to underrepresented founders
Applications are due December 9, 2018 11:55pm PST
We want to get to know you and your organization’s journey and path ahead. Lengthy answers are not necessary, but we want to provide space for you to share as much as you feel adequate. Selected organizations will be requested to pitch to the Kapor Center prior to admission. Final decisions will be made by December 14, 2018.
Not feeling ready to apply? Tell us why!
WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR OTHER INITIATIVES?